Aromatherapy benefits and effectiveness and its subtle workings have never required the attention of humankind. Aromatherapy has grown in popularity and usage over the past several decades.
An aromatherapy massage, is a simple, extremely effective way to unwind at the end of the day. The techniques are very safe and easy to use.
They are mainly long, smooth, stroking movements, done with the flat palms, fingers, thumbs, and sometimes the forearms.
We respond in different ways to colour, to temperature, to the many sounds that fill our world- and we are no less affected by the smells we encounter each day.
When we inhale the fresh aroma of newly baked bread, the thought of tasting the hot loaves flows naturally through our minds. We need not even be hungry to exercise its magic on us.
The sweet scent of the field of flowers may fill us with peaceful, dreamy feelings - as well as evoke memories or fantasies from days gone by.
As we journey through our everyday lives, we cannot be unaffected by the sensual stimuli of the scents we meet on our way.
We are, indeed, affected by the scents of the worlds around us. The aim of the aromatherapist is to capture the effects of these scents and to blend them together in such a way that their effect is directed to a specific purpose.
1) It helps in digestion, by reliving constipation and abdominal disorders.
2) It helps in improving the respiratory system, helps in coughs, colds, tonsillitis and sinusitis.
3) By improving the blood circulation, it helps to eliminate cellulite and toxins from the body and reduces inflammation.
4) Aromatherapy massage eases the muscular pains and aches and helps in relaxing muscles.
5) Aromatherapy lowers blood pressure, reduces stress, improves sleep and helps in combating stress relating disorders. It also helps in relieving tension headaches, anxiety and mild depression.
6) Some essential oils are very good skin care agents, they are used in healing athlete's foot, cold sores, ringworm's, scabies, and also improves skin tones.
7) It also helps in balancing hormones, reducing symptoms of menstruation and menopause.
The two main ways for the Application of Aromatherapy are-
The inhalation therapy can be done by using oil diffusers, potpourri, incense burners and vaporizers.
This can be done by giving massage or through fragrant baths.
There are at least five common methods that are used for the extraction of aromatherapy oils. These are enfleurage, maceration, evaporation, expression, and distillation.