Mixed Bean chilli
How about some vegan mixed bean chilli that is comforting
and full of flavour at the same time? It’s made from scratch to warm you, your
family, and your home.
You can make it for a batch cooking on Sunday, and can freeze it for the days, when you are busy. Beans provide high amount of protein and studies shows that they also have high satiety rating with less energy intake. An delicious high protein vegan and vegetarian recipe.
MIXED BEAN CHILLI
YIELD : 6 SERVINGS
PROTEIN : 20 grams per serving
Soaking Time : 8 hours
Course : Main Course
Prep time : 10 minutes
Method : Freezer friendly
Cook time : 1 hour 30 minutes
Diet : Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 pound beans, mixed bean varieties (you
can buy premixed or mix your own)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed fire-roasted
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
THE NIGHT BEFORE
1. Rinse the beans and place in a large stockpot. Cover with water by about 3 inches. The beans will swell. Let soak overnight.
THE NEXT MORNING
2. Drain the beans and place back into the stockpot.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Add this mixture to the beans in the stockpot. Add the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. The beans should be covered by a couple of inches of liquid. You can add more broth or water, if needed. Stir well. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well again. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Remove the lid, turn down the heat, and simmer very low. So low you can barely see the liquid moving. Don’t put the lid back on. It becomes much more flavourful with the lid off. If the liquid cooks down to where the beans are not submerged, then add some more broth or water. (If you add more liquid, you’ll have to cover again, raise the heat to a boil, and then turn it down immediately and uncover.) Make sure your heat isn’t too high. Cook for 1 hour and check the beans. You will want them tender. If they are not done yet, then cook longer. You shouldn’t need to cook longer than 1½ hours.
MIXED BEAN CHILLI recipe
Why not let us know, if you have tried the recipe or have questions regarding the recipe.